Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Like A Different Child

The Boy's Speech and Language therapist just phoned to see what I'd decided with regards to where I want The Boy to go to school next summer.

I would like him to attend a language unit/autistic spectrum unit. They're attached to mainstream Primary schools, and the idea is - at his own pace - he'd be intergrated into the main school, with their help.

But places in them are like gold dust.

I'm applying for a place in the local Primary, too, in case he doesn't get into a unit. But he's so disruptive at times, I can't see how he'll cope with mainstream right now.

The nursery says he's not the least bit disruptive there. He doesn't scream endlessly. They say he does have a very short attention span, and definately needs a lot of help. They admit mainstream is more formal than nursery, and that will be a problem for him. But he doesn't behave there, the way he does here.

It's not that they don't believe me, they do. They know that a lot of children - special needs or not - behave like completely different individuals at home compared to how they are at school. When the child comes home, they relax and are no longer on their best behaviour. They're so familiar with the parent that they kind of take the piss.

But I just told the therapist exactly what he's like at home. Screaming about things being in the wrong place, or being the wrong size...she was so astonished, she asked if I could video him when he's like that.

As if. I don't have a camcorder, and it's not like he goes off on one, like an event, it's more of a constant stream of whining and screaming and shouting. I'm not imagining things, He really does scream all day long. Both Bag Puss and The Sod can back me up on this...

I'm not sure why they're so surprised. His old playgroup was at a Children and Family Centre, and they knew what it was like at home for us. It must be in his file, surely?

Off on a bit of a tangent, I've got to phone up and arrange appointments to go and see these language units. Then, I have to find them, work out how you get in (I've been to see one before, with our old key-worker from the C&F Centre. It's not easy if you don't know how), meet complete strangers and keep The Boy under control while I do it. All on my own.

I'm actually frightened. I can't bear going to new places on my own. It took me two years to work up the courage to go into a shop I'd never been in before. Before I had The Boy I used to travel up and down the country on my own, no bother. After I had him, I was afraid to answer the door and the phone. Now, I'm not afraid of the phone anymore, but a brand new place somewhere I don't know makes me panic.

Our old key-worker knew it, and as it was a centre that supported the family as well, she came with us. But now he's at a normal nursery that has help for him, but not his family. I'm on my own. I have to confess, there were open days for these units last December, and I didn't go, because I couldn't face it on my own. I made the excuse that The Boy had conjunctivitis. Which he did, but I still should have gone.

I am pathetic.

I will go to these units, and figure out which would be the best for The Boy, and apply for a place there. Even if I have to dose up on Kalms and Rescue Remedy to do it. It is essential I do it, and once it's done, that'll be an achivement.

Yes.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be able to find good info from your blog articles.


My page :: Louis Vuitton Outlet Online

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the good spirit.


My web-site: Cheap NFL Jerseys

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several emails with
the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
Many thanks!

Also visit my web blog - http://www.converseshopfr.com/

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will right away snatch your rss feed as I can't in finding your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you've any?
Kindly let me realize in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.


Also visit my website: Nike Air Max Pas Cher

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this paragraph is good, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds of things, thus I am going to let know her.


My blog post; Nike Air Max

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I log on to your blogs daily. Your humoristic style is awesome, keep it
up!

My web site Abercrombie Bruxelles

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I log on to your blogs daily. Your humoristic style is awesome,
keep it up!

Here is my web page ... Abercrombie Bruxelles

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but
I find this matter to be really something that I think I would never
understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me.
I am looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the hang of it!

Visit my web page: Converse Pas Cher

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the primary time here. I came across this board and I in finding It really useful & it helped me out much. I'm hoping to give something back and help
others such as you aided me.

Visit my weblog - Oakley Sunglasses

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like what you guys are usually up too.
Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I've added you guys to my blogroll.

my webpage; Oakley Frogskins

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there! I could have sworn I've been to this site before but after reading through some of the post I realized it's new to me.
Anyways, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be book-marking
and checking back often!

Stop by my web-site - Michael Kors Outlet

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I every time used to study post in news papers but now as I am a user
of internet thus from now I am using net for articles, thanks to
web.

My web-site: Evgeni Malkin Authentic Jersey

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this information for my mission.

Also visit my webpage ... Sidney Crosby Authentic Jersey

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first time visit at here and i am really impressed to read everthing at alone
place.

Feel free to surf to my website :: Cheap Louis Vuitton Bags

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most significant info for me.
And i'm glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

Feel free to surf to my website: Louis Vuitton Bags

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks
you actually understand what you're speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally talk over with my web site =). We may have a hyperlink trade contract among us

Look into my blog post: memodified.com

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

my website :: Click Here ()

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurrah! In the end I got a weblog from where I can truly take valuable facts
concerning my study and knowledge.

My web blog - Nike Free Run

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
Any suggestions?

my page :: Air Max Pas Cher

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures on this blog loading?
I'm trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.
Any responses would be greatly appreciated.



Check out my webpage :: Cheap Jerseys

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

obviously like your website but you need to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts.

Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to tell the
reality however I will definitely come again again.


My webpage :: Kevin Durant 5 Shoes

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like it whenever people get together and share
ideas. Great website, keep it up!

My webpage ... Michael Kors

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

British Blog Directory.