Friday, December 30, 2005

Agnostic Witch

I've been having debates about Wicca/Paganism and witchcraft with various folk on-line, often Christians, but occasionally Wiccans and other Pagans too.

Just for the record, I'm agnostic, and practice witchcraft.

I get a bit tired of being called Wiccan. Wicca is a mystery religion that you must be initiated into. Sure, it's been diluted and shaped into something that the British Traditionalist Wiccans don't even recognise, the 'do it yourself' eclectic variety, and arguably that's a form of Wicca too - but that's not me either.

I don't know if any kind of deity exists. It/She/He might, I suppose. But I don't know, and I don't believe it's possible to find out.

In my humble opinion, all God/dess's are man made. A personification of the 'spirit' of the universe in an attempt to understand it.

So, I'm not Wiccan. You could call me a Wicca-based Pagan. Having said that, I am guilty of just calling myself Wiccan in certain situations for simplicity's sake. There are plenty out there who believe Wiccan witches are fine, but non-Wiccan witches are satanic - which I am most certainly not. It takes so long to explain it, though, and usually it's Christian's who want the explanation, yet aren't really listening.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Heather said...

I describe myself as an agnostic pagan also. I agree with the gods being manmade in an attempt to explain the universe.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Aine said...

I think we might be a rare breed. :)

I keep quiet around the polythesists.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Erica Clark said...

I often feel like I see the world thru different lenses. Its nice to know there are others. I get tired of "dumbing" myself down for Christians. I'm a triangle in a round hole....

9:45 PM  
Blogger Erica Clark said...

I often feel like I see the world thru different lenses. Its nice to know there are others. I get tired of "dumbing" myself down for Christians. I'm a triangle in a round hole....

9:46 PM  
Blogger Erica Clark said...

I often feel like I see the world thru different lenses. Its nice to know there are others. I get tired of "dumbing" myself down for Christians. I'm a triangle in a round hole....

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

British Blog Directory.